TAC Family Forums

Share your wins, get unstuck, or see how others use the TAC Method to create a fulfilling guitar life!

• 2 Steps Forward 3 Steps Back

Posted by ShaneinAK on November 16, 2023 at 8:53 pm

I’m not a total beginner, I’ve been at it for a little over two years. I had my arm in a sling for six months last year so that slowed me down. I just signed up with TAC and am on the first week of the 30 Days to play. Had fun with the blues shuffle and bass line. Was going to move on to the next lesson but gave the shuffle and bass line one more go. My fingers totally forgot what to do and I was all over the place. I’m not even close to being a perfectionist but I’d hope to at least remember how to play what I did a halfway decent job of two days ago. I’m to stubborn to give up but wow this is frustrating. I’m sure my wife is glad I didn’t take up playing the trumpet.😁. Just reaching out, I’m guessing I’m not in this boat alone. Anyone out there have pointers for those days when things just aren’t happening? For today I’m just going to put the guitar down and go read, so much for a small win tonight.

ShaneinAK replied 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • chickensall6protonmail-com

November 17, 2023 at 4:20 am

I am the same not totally a beginner – I have been going through techniques and haven’t learned a song yet. Doing ok but finding C and F chords hurting my fingers. Found I could do a decent hammeron after much trying and at present doing fingerpicking. I am not giving up its a DONT! Especially since we have come this far!👍

• ShaneinAK

November 17, 2023 at 1:04 pm

Thanks for the reply…

I Still struggle with C and F. For the F chord I’m still in power chord mode for that one, still not able to get a clean barre yet. There are some other variation to play the F chord too. The C and D minor are tough ones with the index finger on the first fret of the B and high E. The C add 9 is a good substitute for the C. It makes the switch to the G and D much easier. Lots of good songs with G,C and D progression.

• Moose408

November 17, 2023 at 10:23 am

Some days everything just falls into to place and then the next day it seems like I have 5 thumbs. When that happens I normally pivot and try something completely different on the guitar. But I never skip practice. The picking up the guitar everyday has been vary beneficial.

• ShaneinAK

November 17, 2023 at 1:13 pm

Thanks Moose! That is the kick in the pants that I needed😁. I considered my 10 minutes of five thumb practice good for the night. I have some fall back things to do on guitar that I have down all right but when the thumbs come out they can be hard to shake off. I put the guitar down and planned to pick it up for another go before bed but Mother nature had other plans. Heavy snow and wind knocked out our power.