Put the guitar down and listen up — no, seriously. Put it down in your lap and unlock a new way to approach the acoustic guitar.
On this episode, we’re diving into something that has affected all of us guitar players at one point or another: the dreaded guitar rut. You know, that feeling when you’re stuck, unmotivated, or just unable to find creativity in your playing? Trust me, I’ve been there, but fear not, I’ve got a solution for you!
In this episode, I’m going to take you on a journey into playing your guitar lap style with a slide. Now, this might seem like a peculiar solution, but it’s all about gaining perspective and shifting the way you think about playing your guitar. I firmly believe this change can be a lifeline when you’re stuck in a rut.
Here are the five incredible benefits of playing lap style that we’re going to explore together:
- Gain New Perspective: By laying the guitar across your lap, you’ll approach the instrument in a whole new way, refreshing your creativity.
- Learn Alternate Tunings: Lap style opens the door to various tunings, allowing you to explore sounds you never thought possible.
- Finger Style Proficiency: You’ll see some exciting advancements in your fingerpicking technique, trust me on this one.
- Ear Training: Tuning your guitar differently and playing lap style will help you develop a more refined and trained ear.
- Innovation through Limitation: By limiting yourself to this new style, you’ll find innovation in places you least expected.
Whether you’re a beginner looking for new challenges or a seasoned player needing a breath of fresh air, this episode is packed with insights and exercises that will surely reignite your passion for playing. So grab your guitar, a slide, and let’s break free from that rut together!
Featured in this episode…
- Will McNicol
- Matty Grove
- Yamaha Guitars
- The Bluegrass Situation
- Premier Guitar
Submit your guitarsenal at the link below!