TAC Family Forums

Share your wins, get unstuck, or see how others use the TAC Method to create a fulfilling guitar life!

Tony’s Acoustic Challenge – The New Way to Learn Guitar Family Forums TACiversary Stories 1 Year of playing the guitar & TAC. I’m Still Playing!

• 1 Year of playing the guitar & TAC. I’m Still Playing!

Posted by KayMesser on August 1, 2023 at 9:07 pm

One year + 2 days ago I picked up the guitar for the first time and noodled around for a bit before looking up beginner fingerstyle lesson on YT and finding a TAC. I signed up for TAC that evening and started the 30 Days to Play program the next morning.

My first goal was to still be playing after 1 Year. I am thrilled to say that I’ve achieved that goal! Yay!!! Woohoo!

Over the past year, I logged 257 Playing Sessions with a 31 Day Streak. Many of my earlier practice sessions were exactly 10 minutes, 3-5 days per week. Now, on weekends, I play for about an hour each day I’m free while enjoying my coffee.

I had many, many goals over the year. I had a ton of small wins and I’m really excited that I’ve challenged the long-held belief that I wasn’t musical. Music doesn’t come easy to me, but I’ve seen a ton of progress over the year.

I read through my 30 Day & 90 Day reflections and wanted to share a few:
    – I am still playing!!! This is the most time I’ve ever invested in music & I love it.

– I played music with friends!!!

– My parents and I sang a part of a song as I played
    – I reviewed a few simple favorited lessons and saw progress from .5x speed to 1x speed.

– I played a Barre chord

– I started voice lessons (talk about a terrifying win)

I unfortunately didn’t achieve my song-oriented goals as I still can’t quite play a song end-to-end at full tempo – but I am getting closer and have the structure of several songs close to memorized.

I am really thankful for the support and encouragement I have received not only watching the TAC Videos (Tony has such an encouraging approach), Acoustic Tuesdays, 90 Day Review Parties, but also here where I’ve posted some questions & wins. Thank you all. You have helped me work through some small ruts and have really helped me to keep my learning pace in perspective.

My favorite Tony TAC Wisdom notes:
    – Create good feelings around something you want to do.
    – First comes the challenge, then comes the change
    – Cultivate patience so that you can stay with something that is hard.

My plans for the next year:
    #1. To still be playing in another year!
    #2. To focus on consistency

#3. To focus on clean and quick chord transitions so that I can more quickly learn songs.

#4. To learn to sing well enough to play one song at our local Open Mic night.

#5. To find some folks to play with occasionally.
    #6. To complete the Fretboard Journal (started & stopped twice) and work on relative pitch

Cheers & happy playing!
    Kaylyn

KayMesser replied 10 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Fletch

August 2, 2023 at 1:30 pm

Well that’s super groovy Kay… Well Done… 👏

Keep havin’ fun, that’s the secret 🙂

• KayMesser

August 3, 2023 at 11:49 am

Thank you so much!

• albert_d

August 2, 2023 at 2:46 pm

What a great accomplishment and what great goals. You will lone Fretboard Wizard. You once wrote you wanted to play John Prine’s Souvenirs. If you aren’t ready for it ( which you may well be) try his Paradise. Then you will have at least one full song. Please be proud of your consistency. You ARE a guitar player.

• KayMesser

August 3, 2023 at 11:51 am

Thank you Albert! You have a great memory. I still have Souvenirs on my list to learn. I worked on it for a month or two but the skills were a bit over my ability level at the time. I love Paradise but haven’t tried playing it yet. I should give both a try again as I have seen improvement in my technique since I tried to play Souvenirs last. I appreciate the encouragement!