TAC Family Forums

Share your wins, get unstuck, or see how others use the TAC Method to create a fulfilling guitar life!

Tony’s Acoustic Challenge – The New Way to Learn Guitar Family Forums Community Support 12 string Capo too strong of mechanism to use

• 12 string Capo too strong of mechanism to use

Posted by Cadgirl on July 31, 2022 at 6:56 am

I was super excited to receive my Kyler 12 string Capo yesterday in the mail. What a surprise to find the mechanism is so strong that I could hardly open it enough to put on my guitar neck. So it goes back. My 6 string Capo is a Jim Dunlop capo and it works great. Easy to use. I think I’ll make a trip to Guitar-Center and see if they have one in stock. It will give me a chance to look at their guitars anyway.

HowardM replied 1 year, 8 months ago 6 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • Kitman

July 31, 2022 at 11:11 am

Hi @Cadgirl , Paige makes a 12 string capo that uses a threaded clamp vs a spring loaded lever. Might want to check neck width.

I have a Paige capo I use on my 6 strings and really like it.

Here is a link to the page with their 12 string capo.

https://paigecapo.com/product/clik-12-string-acoustic-capo-pc-12-2-250-r/https://paigecapo.com/product/clik-12-string-acoustic-capo-pc-12-2-250-r/

• Cadgirl

July 31, 2022 at 3:27 pm

I was just looking at the Paige. I might just get one of those. THanks for your information. The link didn’t work, but I did find them on the net.

• Kitman

July 31, 2022 at 3:34 pm

I wonder what it is I am doing incorrectly when inserting a link? 🤔 This is at least the 3rd time I’ve attempted to pass info along (actually came to think of it, it was about Paige capos) and the link didn’t work. Glad you found the information in any case 😃

• Cadgirl

August 1, 2022 at 4:38 am

@Kitman, the link had the name and the logo so it wasn’t hard to find. Thanks again for the post.

• N-lightMike

August 2, 2022 at 6:59 pm

If you look closely at the link you posted, @Kitman , it’s doubled. That might be why it won’t work?

Yep, I just verified it. I clicked on the link and it gave me the 404 page not found. But when I copied only half, or one instance of the link and pasted it into the address bar, it went right to the page.

MG 😀

• Kitman

August 3, 2022 at 4:46 pm

Thanks Mike @MikeGaurnier !! I notice when I paste something into TAC (using Chrome browser) it always seems to get doubled. I experience this when drafting a post in another app and pasting into a TAC post. Didn’t think about that and the link! 😃 You nailed it!

• N-lightMike

August 3, 2022 at 6:50 pm

👍😃

• HowardM

August 1, 2022 at 3:18 am

I have never seen a capo that would support a 12-string guitar, learn something new each day, thanks for the information.

• Cadgirl

August 1, 2022 at 4:35 am

@HowardM ,I have used my 6 string capo on my 12 but there is a little buzz so I figured I would get one designed for a 12. To tell the truth the width of the neck isn’t wider than a 6. I think it does have to have a stronger mechanism to hold down all those strings. But, I never dreamed it would be that hard to open. EGAD!

• Pinski

August 2, 2022 at 10:42 pm

I tried my G7 capo on my D12-1 and it didn’t work at all. Works great on all my six strings. Interested to see where you land on this. I assume you’re talking about a capo for your Taylor 562CE.

On a tangent thread, I have 562CE arriving this week, largely due to high praise from you and Tony (and most other reviews I read too, truthfully). I’m going to replace an old beater Jasmine on the guitar wall the Taylor and see how long it takes my wife to notice. They’re both small body, dark toned cutaways. If (when)she calls me out I’m going to blame you.😉

• Cadgirl

August 3, 2022 at 4:59 am

@Pinski , you are going to love the 562ce. It’s a nice size, sounds great and is beautiful. Mine is used, so it saved me some money. I don’t use a 12 a lot, but i’m still glad I got it. I’m glad to hear your capo comment. I was looking at the G7 capo actually. If you had issues with it on your 12 string, then I’ll cross it right off my list. I can’t wait to hear when you receive your 562ce, and all the praises that you’ll be giving to me and Tony 🙂

• HowardM

August 3, 2022 at 3:07 am

I have not seen EGAD used in a number of years, at first I thought it was a type of guitar tuning, LOL. Have a super day.

• Pinski

August 3, 2022 at 10:44 pm

Well, now I have to try it out on my mandolin.

• HowardM

August 4, 2022 at 2:43 am

lol, I never thought about that. G-G-D-D-A-A-E-E, I just looked it up, I know nothing about the instrument and found it fascinating.

• Pinski

August 4, 2022 at 11:50 pm

I highly recommend picking about on a mandolin if you’re looking for some variety. Loads of fun and a totally different tone.

• HowardM

August 5, 2022 at 2:58 am

I will start the research immediately. It will be a nice addition to my toolbox. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Pinski

August 6, 2022 at 12:32 am

Check out the Eastman offerings. The MD515 puts a smile on my face every time I pick it up.

• HowardM

August 6, 2022 at 2:34 am

Thanks for the recommendation, I will be on that next week and will let you know.

• David_Leo

August 2, 2022 at 4:25 am

Love my Shubb capos. The 12 string version is made the same, adjustable, just a little longer to accommodate the wider neck. I use it on my 12 string AND on my parlor guitar which also has a 1 7/8″ neck.

• Cadgirl

August 2, 2022 at 7:20 am

Thank you for the referral. It’s nice to hear what other members are using on their guitars before taking the plunge and picking one up (or maybe 2).

• N-lightMike

August 2, 2022 at 7:05 pm

And the Shubb can be had without taking out a loan on your mortgage, @Cadgirl , unlike the Paige. 😂 (I have a 12 string Shubb)

MG 😀

• Cadgirl

August 4, 2022 at 12:20 pm

@David_leo , @MikeGaurnier @Pinski, @Kitman and @HowardM ….I wanted to let you know I decided on the Shubb 12 string Capo. I am WOW’ed with it. It works great. No stress on my wrists at all getting the capo on and off. All the strings ring true. It’s awesome! @Kitman I did pass on the Paige capo, the Shubb was ½ the price and I still wanted to have a clamp to secure the capo. Thanks everyone for all your insight. Happy Strumming to all of you.

• N-lightMike

August 4, 2022 at 3:55 pm

Another happy Shubb user, @Cadgirl . When you compare functionality and price, I’m surprised anyone uses anything else. I still have a Kyser which I bought before my first Shubb and it works for me. But if I ever lost it or broke it, I would never buy another one or any other kind of capo. My opinion and my choice. 😁

MG 😃

• Kitman

August 4, 2022 at 6:15 pm

No worries here, @Cadgirl ! The important thing is that you have something you love that works for you. Awesome! 😀😎👍

• HowardM

August 5, 2022 at 2:56 am

I appreciate the information and hope your choice will continue to bring you joy. Keep us informed, please.